Visas, ID, Permits

Malta Expats | Visas, ID, Permits
The legislation empowering foreign citizens to take employment in Malta is the Immigration Act. Citizens of non-EU/EFTA (European Free Trade Association) countries are required to apply for a work permit or e-residence card in order to be allowed to work in Malta. Starting with 2005, Maltese employment licenses are issued by the Employment and Training Corporation (ETC).


It must also be taken into consideration that the employer must apply for the work license on behalf of the foreign citizen. Starting with 2014, when the Legal Notice 160 was issued, the authorization for third country is done through the issuance of a single permit application which enables a foreign citizen to both work and live in Malta. The new document is called an e-residence card.

Obtaining a Maltese e-residence card

Foreign citizens intending to work in Malta for a period longer than three months are required to apply for a Maltese employment license or e-residence card. The validity of the work visa depends on the type of application submitted with the Employment and Training Corporation. The new Maltese work permit application forms are:

  • – CEA form J for individuals with economic self-sufficiency,
  • – CEA form M for students,
  • – CEA form A for employment and self-employment,
  • – CEA form F for family members.

Non-EU Citizens

Non-EU nationals are required to apply for an employment license if they wish to work in Malta. The license must be applied for by the employer, not the job seeker. This means that in order to receive a license, you must already have an employer who wants to hire you. To complicate matters further, the employer must be able to prove that a candidate from the EU, EEA, Switzerland nor a Maltese national is capable of fulfilling the vacancy.


(1) A completed set of Forms CEA C and ID 1A

(2) Full set of photocopies of your entire passport (certified?)

(All pages – including a stamp confirming entry to Malta or your boarding pass/airline ticket to Malta denoting your first date of settlement to Malta)

(3) Copy of CV

(The CV must follow the EU CV template layout including photo)

(4) Copy of your private health insurance coverage (certified?)

(5) Copy of your lease agreement in Malta and photocopy of the owners ID.

Important: (You might find this step very difficult. Not all flat owners have listed their properties for renting. The reason is simple. If they have their ID listed in the contract they will have t0 pay taxes on the income generated from the flat. Therefore, make sure before signing a contract that the owner is willing to provide you with a copy of his national ID card.)

(6) Copies of all diplomas and degrees you have stated in your CV (copies must have certified legal translations with stamp)

(7) Copies of reference letters from previous employers (if any) (Certified?)

(These should cover last three years. If these is not available you will need to get a certification for your qualifications (referred in (6) above) from the MQRIC (Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre, Bice Mizzi Vassallo School, Triq Alamein Pembroke, Malta.

(8) Payment for a Single Permit Application Fee is € 280.50.

This will be paid when we submit your application at Identity Malta. (The section, which is responsible for the issue of residence documents, is open for business on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 0830 hrs. and 1130 hrs.   Applications are to be made at 3, Castille Place, 2nd Floor, Valletta, while cards can be collected from 172, Melita Street, Valletta.)

For the whole checklist of the documents required click the following link Need one that works.

(e-residence card)

(social security card)

(police conduct Cert.)